Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Visualizing my book cover

One of my dreams is to write a novel and have it published by Harlequin. I've been kicking around an idea for years, based on a line in a song, and I knew it was going to be the book. I started writing it and it fell apart - weak characters, trying to write too much to formula. Then I got overwhelmed with life and all the issues from last year and I stopped writing.

But I picked it up again and started over. The words are flowing like water. I have an even better story, stronger characters, and I am enjoying writing it daily. My goal is 1000 words a day. Sometimes I write 2000.

One thing I have been doing lately is visualizing my book cover. The story is about a musician, a performer. I am seeing the red Harlequin cover, the musician facing toward an audience - he's on stage. He's wearing his cowboy hat and has a guitar slung across his back (country singer). There is a hint of a spotlight showing around him. Off to the side, smaller, there is an impression of a full stadium of people there to see him perform.

I don't know what cover I will get, but I know that having that cover in my head will make it more and more real to me the further I get in writing the book.

Maybe you noticed that I'm visualizing a cover, not a sale. That's because I already know that it will sell.

Be confident. Know what you want. Visualize what you want. It will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment